Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Back Home

(about the image: No, I don’t actually live in New York City, but in one of the rural “upper counties” of the Archdiocese of New York. (The Archdiocese stretches from Staten Island past Kingston—almost near Albany. We’re 2.5 million Catholics!) Still, when I’m in the city or see pictures of it, it makes me very glad to think that my prayers for the Archdiocese are for the spiritual benefit of all these individual people.)

I’m finally home in New York after a challenging semester, and a very long road trip! Besides my happiness of being in familiar surroundings and near family and friends once more, since I was consecrated last January I find that there’s a special joy in being physically present here. A big part of my vocation is praying for the needs of the bishops, clergy, seminarians (consecrated virgins in New York pray for them at the specific request of the NY Vocation Office), and all the people of the Archdiocese of New York. So to me, geographical proximity to the people for whom I pray is always a real consolation!

I’m very grateful to everyone who prayed for my safe travels. Driving 1000+ miles on my own was exhausting and often nerve-racking; at one point I learned the hard way that the streets in Washington DC are NOT laid out on a grid in the same way that the streets of New York City are! But overall it was a good experience and it gave me the chance to meet or visit some great people, including the Raleigh Vocation Office and the Visitation nuns in Georgetown (who were kind enough to let me stay with their wonderful community for a few days of recollection on my way home…thanks Sisters!)

My summer plans include translating and out-of-print book from Spanish into English. I wouldn’t exactly call myself bilingual (I have four years of high school Spanish), but after spending so much time studying Latin and Greek I’m really looking forward to working with a non-case language!

I am really behind on e-mails, but I do appreciate all the messages I get from readers of this blog. I’ll do my best to catch up with everyone as soon as possible.


(In contrast to the first picture, here is a photo taken of the Hudson river from the banks of my hometown. It's beautiful here in the Spring!)

1 comment:

Brian said...

This is alovely photo of the banks of the Hudson. Although I live in NJ, I work in NY, walking distance of Hastings-on-Hudson. I occasionally bring my camera and shoot some pics of the river - it is especially beautiful in the fall.